Takhat Sri Kesgarh Sahib
Gurdwara Shri Keshgarh Sahib is located in the center of the city of Anandpur Sahib, Punjab, India. It is also known as “Takht Shri Keshgarh Sahib” and is one of five highest Sikh institutions in India; it is the city’s main Sikh shrine. The city began as Chakk Nanaki, which was founded by Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji in 1665. His son, Guru Gobind Singh ji, who spent 25 years of his life in the city, added greatly to the city’s size, giving it the new name, “City of Bliss (Anandpur).”
Its foundation stone was laid on March 30, 1689. In fact, it was here that the Khalsa Panth was born with the first initiation of Khande Di Pahul, when the young Guru called for a special congregation on the Baisakhi day of 1699 with thousands of Sikhs in attendance. One can only imagine how large the area was around Sri Keshgarh Sahib then to accommodate the many thousands of Sikhs in attendance on that historic day.